FOAMGLAS® – The compact roof system
The Foamglas compact system for parkingdecks concists of 2 layers of Foamglas insulation, glued with hot bitumen onto a concrete or steel deck. The joints between the Foamglas slabs are also glued togheter. On top of the Foamglas layer there is a membrane fully bonded with hot bitumen. The system with the glued Foamglas slabs and membrane is called a compact system. If required the Foamglas toplayer of slabs can be shifted out and a tapred slab could be used, that leads the water to the lowpoint of the surface.
On top of that there are a finishing layer installed that could consists from various kind of material such as: - Load bearing concrete - Concrete slabs on supporting pads - Mastic asphalt - Paving slabs on gravel base - Grouting asfalt pavement
The Foamglas compact roof system enables you to have other surface materials if you don´t like to use it as a parkingdeck. There are possibilities such as: Metal steelsheet roof, Green roof (accessable and non-accessable) and ordinary membrane roofs.
Composition of the product:
The Foamglas insulation concists of 66 % recycled glass from laminated glass (carwindshields and computer screens) the rest is virgin glass compounds.
Whats the innovation as to the market ?
The Foamglas compact system for parkingdecks gives you a lot of innovative advantages for the building owner:
- Low service lifetime cost - The Foamglas insulation has a proven servicelifetime of at least 50 years with maintained product properties ( see properties under technical aspects).
- Low energy consumtion - The system is vapourtight so no water or moisture gets into the insulationlayers that destroys the insulation capacity.
- No leakage problems - if the membrane is damaged you will not have any leakage problems, since the Foamglas material is waterproof and the slabs are glued togheter.
- Easy to repair any damages – since the water stays where the damage occurs and don´t continue further into the building structure. - No vertical gaps or longtime shrinkage on the surface – The system has a high compressive strenght (450 – 900 kPa) and is dimensionally stable over time.
- No problems with damages occuring from oil or fuel leakage by parked vehicles – The Foamglas insulation is acid resistant .
- Reduces firerisk and decreases leathal injuries if fire occurs – The Foamglas insulation is Incombustible (Euroclass A1, Melting temperatur 760 degrees Celcius). No problems with toxic gases and drops from melting insulationmaterial (like happends when plasticbased insulation catches fire).
- Pestproof – Do not break down from vermin attacks. No need for pesticides if a vermine problem might occur.
- Easy to shift surface material – If the buildingowner likes to change to an other use of the surface (i.e from a rooftop parking surface that is paved to a green roof) they can do this without removing the compact system. All activity under the structure will remain “Undistrubed”
Technical aspects ?
The unique properties of Foamglas insulation are: - 100 % Waterproof and Vapourtight - High compressive strenght - Dimensionally stable - Acid resistant - Incombustible – Euroclass A1 - Recistent against vermins - Service lifetime of at least 50 years, with maintained product properties.
A system that has a service liftime that is equal as the building and that with maintained functions under the whole period. The need of costly and resources demaning renovations will shrink to a minimum.
There are building where 50 years old Foamglas insulation has been taken out and tested where all the properties of the material is still the same as it was when installed.
Foamglas is the insulation on the market that has the lowest consumtion of “non-renewable energy” during it´s lifetime.
Foamglas insulation is holder of a Nature Plus certificate and has been validated, with topnotes, in the 2 swedish eco assessment systems; Sunda Hus and Byggvarubedömningen.