The two buildings under refurbishment are located on the territory of the former Rassvet Machine Plant in Krasnaya Presnyastreet. Before the 1917 Revolution, it had been occupied by the furniture factory of Muir and Mirrielees merchant house. The main building was designed by Roman Klein, the author of Central Universal Department Store (TsUM) in Moscow and many other projects, and built in 1912. There is a well-known historical monument in the immediate vicinity to the plant. It is the famous merchant and art collector Pyotr Shchukin’s former manor house in Pseudo- Russian style with a park. Nowadays, it is the Timiryazev Museum of Natural Science. Different epochs brought buildings of different styles to the premises of the plant.
The restoration project of buildings 3.20 and 3.34 implied that the industrial area of the plant would be interwoven with the city canvas thus preserving the historical presence of the place. A separate task to transform former plant quarters into modern apartments was set. Building 3.20 is adjacent to the territory of the Museum of Natural Science; windows of some apartments look out on its park. In the project, constructions of the dilapidated utility building were modified. The concept of a low-rise house with diverse apartment type options uncharacteristic of Moscow and the centre of the city was put forward. Complicated configuration of floor and inner yard plans is topped up with a pitched roof with gables and prominent silhouette of the dormers. As a result of the renovation, it slightly reminds of a big town mansion.
Daniil Lorenz, Natalia Sidorova, Konstantin Khodnev, Marina Ustyugova, Interior: M. Kochurkina,E. Filatova