Villa Baro is situated on the manor of Adelsnäs and has a long and interesting history that started with the construction of the main building back in 1760. This building was raised on the opposite side of the lake. It was later moved to the actual location in 1900 and until 1950 the house was used as a boarding school were gardeners got their training. Many traces of this era can be seen on the premise such as the stone wall which sits in front of the house towards the lake and many exotic trees.
Villa Baro was turned into a hotel in 1957 and at the same time was the golf course constructed.
2020 was the extensive renovation of the main building completed. This work included an extension of the main building with wing containing guest rooms, lounges, yoga room, relax and conference room. The key change of the renovation was to move of the kitchen and the bar to a space between the two buildings that connects the old and the new.
The guest wing is placed perpendicular to the main building, framing the courtyard and the view, which enables lakeview from most of the bedrooms and bathrooms. The extension stretches towards the lake so that the south facade outside the yoga room creates an intimate space towards the stone wall.
The extension is made of a prefabricated CLT structure, cladded with horizontal weatherboarding and wooden windows. Detailing on the facades such as railings is made of chestnut brown expanded metal which bears a resemblance to the woodwork seen on the frontispiece of the main building.
With the working motto “rural elegance”, the interior of the guest wing is inspired by the shaker era with wall cladding with wood battens, a version of those was found in the main building. The fireplace in the reception area is framed by a casting created by the renowned sculpture Anna Petrus (1886-1949).