The site is one of a row of sites with beach access lining Papamoa beach. An opportunity presented itself; how to cleverly stitch the rear street arrival to the front of the site.
First principles resulted in all of the primary public spaces, living, dining & kitchen, being positioned at the front of the site.We then used the street end of the house to form a gateway which provides cover and leads the visitor in with an angled wall and soffit.The gateway monocles the view to a glazed front door and the sea beyond.
The journey between gateway and front door is lusciously landscaped along the boundary and opposingly lined with a soft batten screen which lanterns at night.The front door connects directly into the living area, bypassing a journey past the bedrooms.
A u-turn is made to access the bedrooms which form the connecting wing between the living and gateway elements. The bedrooms are linked via a semi-external raised walkway. This journey too has an end destination with a semi-public function, being the outdoor bathing courtyard with spa and shower.
This courtyard is also accessed via the lawned garden court onto which all spaces aspect. This garden court is the north facing sun sync for the house.However, the lawn court allows views of the neighbour. To ameliorate this the building has dropped horizontal timber screens to control the privacy sightlines into the bedrooms.
The beach frontage is simple with a small second floor pop up to afford the main bedroom a sea view. Sliding battened shutters soften the façade, provide movement and grant the occupant a veil of privacy.
Material Used :
1. Hermpac – Facade cladding – Western red cedar Vertline verical shiplap cladding
2. Batten screens – Bandsawn western red cedar, stained with Dryden’s wood oil
3. Continental Screens Ltd – Translucent screen at semi-external bedroom breezeway – Kariba Shoji screen with western red cedar battens fixed to external face
4. JSC Timber – Internal walllining to living area - Tongue & groove cedar paneling
5. Hermpac – Internal sarking boards – Western red cedar T&G, custom profile
6. Plytech International - Plywood ceiling lining – Birch Select plywood with Bona stain
7. Internal flooring and external decking - Kwila timber, finished with Bona HD trafficinternally, no finish externally