The replacement of the Neue Steinermühle, a historic mill in the village of Alberswil, with a new building offers an opportunity to continue the history of Switzerland's first industrial mill in a modern, yet respectful manner. The exterior of the Mühlihof reproduces the massing and composition of the existing building while creating a new interpretation - a 'cast' - of the original in simple garb that is tailored to its new uses.
The Neue Steinermühle forms the core of a historic ensemble of buildings and is a landmark in the natural and cultural landscape of Kasteln. Refurbishment turned out not to be an economically feasible option, so an alternative solution with long-term viability was developed in close cooperation with the building conservation authorities. The historic turbine hall is being restored and a new hydroelectric power plant installed there, which will meet 100% of the energy needs from a renewable source. So that the Mühlihof can be used as a hotel and residential building, it is being given a new primary structure that also guarantees future adaptability. The use of the Mühlibach for producing electricity and the economically and ecologically optimized building services are in keeping with the architectural concept and contribute to the creation of a sustainable new building in the mill ensemble.
Material Used :
1. Sarna Granol AG – Facade plaster - washed plaster: Jurasit-Waschputz Light (executed by Gipser Melchiorri N. AG)
2. Top Akustik AG – Acoustic ceiling elements - Top Akustik Typ 19/2 RESAP Standard, BKZ A2 (installed by Pilag AG)
3. Schenker – vertical awnings
4. Reckli GmbH– Concrete base, matrix inserted in concrete– Reckli 2/31 Iller (executed by Stutz AG)
5. Macchi Beton-Fertigteile AG – Window surrounds, prefabricated concrete elements made of white cement
6. Dubach Holzbau – Roof Construction
7. Alpnach Küchen AG– Kitchens
8. Edelmann Böden + Beläge GmbH– polyurethane surface on bathroom floor and walls
9. Metal elements (pergola, underground car park cover, entrance doors, harp railing in the staircase): coated in– IGP-DURA®xal 4201, Classic 33 (executed by Wyss Metallbau AG)