Tucked into a low valley, next to a creek, this Mill Valley modern home was in need of some serious design love. Our clients, an environmental attorney, his wife and two kids purchased the house knowing they wanted to do an extensive renovation of both the house and grounds. The house had a frumpy exterior and an interior that was dominated by a massive, faux finished steel skylight, and a teal green polished concrete floor.
Our clients were looking for a fresh vision that didn't require extensive demolition. The scope included a remodel of Kitchen, Living, Dining, Master Bath, and 2 home office spaces. We did a radical facelift on the exterior, keeping the basic massing but creating distinct volumes, added a dramatic entry that framed the sky and provided sun and rain protection, opened the house to the rear yard, and pulled the finishes together with an eye toward crisp, modern detailing. A new offset pivot front door, and landscaped steps create a real moment of entry.
The new house flows seamlessly inside and out, with large sliding doors at the rear, a matt finished micro-topping concrete floor, and a material palette that is much more neutral and receptive to art work. Now the house harmonizes with the surrounding trees and hills. Original exposed wood tongue and groove ceiling boards and wood beams were refinished and painted, and a new limestone dimensional tile wall is set flush with walnut wood panels.
House Name: ‘Laverne As Shirley’: The house is located on Laverne Avenue in Mill Valley CA. Laverne and Shirley is a classic American sitcom from the 70’s. The characters Laverne DeFazio and Shirley Feeney were best friends, roommates and polar opposites.
Material Used :
1. Facade Cladding: Western Red Cedar, Hardie Plank lap siding
2. Windows and Doors: Fleetwood Norwood 3000 and 3070 series, Ventana 900 Series, Old Castle FG 3000
3. Offset pivot: Rixson stainless M128, Pemko thresholds
4. Glazing: PPG Solarban 60 Starfire
5. Door Levers: Karcher Design Rhodos UER28, Appliance Pulls: Assa Abloy RM3110, Flush Pulls: Accurate 2002 and FC 7001
6. Pocket Door Track: Hafele Hawa Junior 80/Z
7. Cabinet pulls: Doug Mockett DP3-AS
8. Kitchen tile: Heath Crease IN/ Crease OUT
9. Kitchen Cabinet Wood Veneer: Rift white Oak
10. Living Rm Wood Veneer Panels: Custom Walnut from Exotic Hardwoods
11. Living Rm Stone Tile (wall): Island Stone V-tile in Sandstone Mint
12. Master Bath vanity splash tile: Heath Ceramics Classic Field Tile G35.2 Fawn
13. Kitchen Hood: Vent A Hood CWH-248
14. pot filler: Danze
15. Kitchen sink: Julien stainless steel undermount w integral sponge drawer,
16. Master BA vanity faucet: Vola wall mount
17. MBath shower valve: Dornbracht
18. MBath shower head: Hansgrohe
19. MBath toile: Toto Maris
20. Lighting: Lucifer Lighting CYLA mono point fixtures
21. Juno recessed LED fixtures, Lutron Maestro dimmers, Kitchen pendant Foscarini Couchin Mini