ONSEN RYOKAN YUEN SHINJUKU extracts the essential features of a traditional Japanese Ryokan, and “edits” them to fit the practical needs of modern travellers.
The Ryokan features 193 guest rooms in a 18-story tower standing behind a pitched-roof, single-story restaurant. While the front facade is that of a very traditional Ryokan, the “traditional” begins to gradually blend and shift to “modern” as the guest proceeds from the street towards the lobby and on to the guestroom. The transition is intended to be very subtle and natural so that the whole experience is comfortable and memorable, while being authentically Japanese.
Natural materials are used in all areas with a touch of traditional craft. To name a few: the lobby backscreen made with washi paper, the stone-carved chozubachi basin at the entrance, and the wood millwork seen throughout the public areas.
All guestrooms have a raised floor with Tatami mats. Guests take off their shoes at the porch after entering the room and experience a traditional Japanese lifestyle of living “on the floor”. Guestroom windows are also set low, perfect for enjoying the view when seated or lying on bed. Overall, the design works in giving a sense of comfort even in the smallest guestrooms which resemble a traditional Japanese tea room.
The rooftop Onsen takes advantage of the spectacular view of the City and guests enjoy bathing in natural spring hot water transported from a mountain spring fountain.
Material Used :
1. AICA - Facade Painting – Jolipad
2. NOZAWA – Facade panel - Extruded Cement Panel
3. HOXAN – Interior wall finish (Lobby) - Sanfoot (sliced veneer)
4. Interior floor finish – Granite (Zimbabwe Black)
5. KMEW - Interior wall (Restaurant) - Solido (ceramic materials)
6. Marazzi – Inteiror floor (Restaurant) – Lavagna / nero (tile)
7. AICA – Room door finish – Altyno (PVC sheet)
8. SANGETSU – Corridor wall finish – wall paper
9. SANGETSU - Room floor finish (tatami) – Tatamitile (PVC tile)