Nestled in a weather-beaten forest, this 2,500-square-foot beach house creates a connection between the drama of the nearby ocean and the sense of sanctuary provided by the trees. Composed primarily of one large room, the house is light-filled on the south side facing the ocean, and insular and protected on the other side.
Glass walls open the living area to panoramic views of forest and ocean, while two fireplaces on either end anchor the space and provide a feeling of refuge. Cantilevering the house from its base provides space for ferns and beach salal to grow underneath the glass flooring that runs the perimeter of the main room, giving the sense of floating above the forest floor.
The warm, natural tones of the interior take inspiration from Tofino’s coastal forest, and are punctuated by pieces from the owner’s contemporary art collection. Artworks were incorporated into the design of the home, with the fireplace walls specially designed to fit paintings by Sam Francis and Diego Singh. A collection of furniture pieces designed by Jim Olson specifically for the house, including a walnut sofa built into the hearth of one fireplace, complete the interior environment.
“The main room is solid on one end like a cabinet, with warm, dark walnut wood casework, and open at the other end with expansive glass walls and glass flooring. Here, you can look out on the surrounding vista, while you feel safe and protected from behind with the two fireplaces and the wood walls.” – Jim Olson, FAIA, Design Principal
Material Used :
1. Parker Johnson Industries – Roof and siding – VM Zinc in Quartz
2. Atlas Meridian Glassworks – Windows – Custom extruded aluminum mullions/frames/flashings with argon-filled IGUs
3. Spearhead – Custom front door – Rift-oak, bronze and steel
4. Ceilings (main room) – Tight knot cedar
5. Ceilings (bedroom, bathroom, closet) – Teak veneer
6. Waterworks – Bathroom sconces
7. Lucifer – Recessed downlights
8. Custom casework – Walnut
9. Custom built-in sofa designed by Jim Olson – Walnut and leather
10. Custom console table and coffee table designed by Jim Olson / fabricated by Chadhaus – Walnut
11. Custom side table designed by Jim Olson / fabricated by Chadhaus – Blackened steel
12. Custom X-bar chairs designed by Jim Olson / fabricated by Big Leaf – Blackened steel and leather
13. Custom upholstered chair designed by Jim Olson / fabricated by Big Leaf – Blackened steel and fabric
14. Custom dining table designed by Jim Olson
15. Custom bed designed by Jim Olson– Walnut
16. Custom headboard designed by Jim Olson / fabricated by Hoss Brothers