The original 1888 Italianate building was restored and internally rearranged to accommodate a large family home brief. The extended area to the rear is hidden from the street frontage with the vehicular access to a 5-car garage located under the rear garden and pool.
The quality and prominence of the original building demanded any addition play second fiddle architecturally. No part of the new works is visible from the streetscape and in time the garage entry will also be hidden with the maturity of soft planting to its entry.
With the rear facing south, we used this as an opportunity to break the old and new forms to encourage northern light to the rear living spaces but also allow the amazing brick detailing to be on display to the rear living arears. The 5-car basement and pool were built in conjunction and designed to maintain the existing Peppercorn tree on site. The existing rear stable were also fully restored and have now become spill over guest accommodation. With the existing brickwork being restored and in places rebuilt, the new addition was clad in zinc to provide a soft contrast to the original building.
Relationship of the built form to the context
The additional form is a modernist composition of 3 elements attached to the old rear wall but aim to reduce the sense of new mass to the rear façade. The original Italianate form is still clearly evident despite of this new addition. The new upper floor form is carefully located between the two original chimney stacks to ensure they are always on display. This deliberate contrast aims to highlight the amazing craftmanship of the original building.
The significant works undertaken to accommodate the vehicles and provide considerable storage allows the family to live close to the city without compromise. This creates a home base that will allow the family to live together happily for many years to come. The layout is carefully zoned between multiple living areas, working zones and private areas to retreat to.
Material Used :
1. Facade cladding 1: Brick Veneer – to match existing
2. Facade cladding2: Light weight classing – Zinc Metal – Dark grey / Matt
3. Façade 3: Off form Textured concrete
4. Flooring 1: Mentone Premix – Polished Poured Floor - Snowstone
5. Flooring 2: Rawdon Flooring – Solid American Oak (custom stain)
6. Flooring 3: Marble stone slab – CDK Stone - ‘Lorde’
7. Doors 1: Timber – Cedar with glazing
8. Doors 2: Skyrange Steel – Custom designed doors
9. Windows: Aluminum Windows – Powdercoated Dulux Electro Dark Bronze
10. Window Louvers: Evaya EV80 – Powdercoated
11. Roofing 1: Dark Grey Slate- to match existing
12. Roofing 2: Colorbond corrugated iron, Colour: monument
13. Interior lighting: Various: Aritcolo, Cult, Euroluce, Hub, Criteria, Living Edge